• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

What to do about the bad smell

For the past few days people in Newbury have been faced with a pretty unpleasant smell.

While many have come up with their own theory as to where it's coming from, there are official routes that people can go down to try and get the situation sorted.

Councils must look into complaints about smells from industrial, trade and business premises that could be a ‘statutory nuisance’ (covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990).

For the smell to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises

  • injure health or be likely to injure health

If West Berks Council agrees that a statutory nuisance is happening, has happened or will happen in the future, they must serve an abatement notice. This requires whoever’s responsible to stop or restrict the smell.

The notice will usually be served on the person responsible but can also be served on the owner or occupier of the premises.

You can contact West Berks Council's Environmental Quality Team to get information about what you can do.

latest newbury news

send us stories

latest newbury news

eating out

going out